Site Menu

Stephanie Brown Family

Stephanie Brown is a divorced mother of two who has had her fair share of turmoil since her family moved into their home in 2010.  When they moved in she knew it needed some work and they were prepared financially to do so.  However, in 2011 when work was to begin, an unexpected traumatic experience occurred.  Her son, Alex, (4 years old at the time) got a button battery lodged in his nose.  Plagued by crippling pain, the battery went undetected and misdiagnosed for several days, causing extensive damage to his nasal cavity, leaving him with severe chemical burn and a perforated hole the size of a quarter in his nasal septum.

Alex’s condition comes with extreme sensitivity to heat and cold.  For a nine year old boy, this puts great limitations on activities for which he would love to partake.  That means no swimming, sled riding, playing in the snow and other expected rambunctious activities for his age.   Instead, Alex has already spent a majority of his childhood going back and forth to Cleveland Clinic for treatments, appointments and surgeries.  He has undergone 27 surgeries to help correct the damage that was done.  Along with being subjected to over 30 different medications, Stephanie anticipates more surgeries.

In 2013, Alex was officially diagnosed as mentally and medically disabled.  Stephanie is unable to hold a steady job due to Alex’s constant travel and medical appointments. But, she has made it her mission to educate the community about the danger of batteries so no other family has to go through what they have and will go through for years to come.

We’re currently helping Stephanie Brown and her family with installing air conditioning in her son’s room and building a new bathroom due to his special needs.

"We don't want the 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' build to be our first and last charitable project; we are committed to giving back on an ongoing basis." 

John Maleno

Founder and President

Leave a Comment